Sunday, July 22, 2012

What's In Your Cellar, Jordan?

Photo Credit: Surrey Now
Jordan Carrier
Everything Wine @ Morgan Crossing
Vintage Room Consultant
everythingwine.ca

As the Vintage Room Consultant for Everything Wine @ Morgan Crossing and with a modest collection of his own, Jordan oversees two cellars of wine. Pouring and sourcing famous first growths and the icon wines of the world for clients, satiates any desire to splurge on trophy wines. At home he tends to focus on value wines that will evolve and change over time as not all cellar-worthy wines need be to expensive.

Q - What are your favourite wines to cellar/collect?
Red ones and dessert wines, no further specificity is available, I really have no criteria other than I want it and I want to keep it.

Q - What are your favourite wine regions to cellar/collect?
I’m trending Old World with my recent purchases, but the majority of my collection is older, New World buys. Time goes by, we change…

Q - What is the purpose of your wine cellar/collection?
Practical, I like to see how a wine evolves, however upon opening I find myself entertained and personally gratified.

Q - What inspired you to hold onto that first bottle or case beyond when it was ready to drink?
Tasting an aged bottle of wine, wanting to recreate that experience.

Q - Was there a particular bottle or region of wine that was the impetus of starting your collection?
It was a Merlot from Robert Mondavi, I don’t even think it was a Reserve, but I kept it for a few years and was so totally transformed by the experience of drinking it that I knew I had to do that more.

Q - Is there a jewel of note or a favourite wine in your collection?
No trophy wines, I don’t believe in keeping anything I would feel unworthy of someday drinking. It’s a respectable collection of wines, but there are definitely some clubs it couldn’t get into.

Q - Any particular duds or disappointments of note?
Osoyoos Larose 2004, I kept that thing forever and when I opened it, it was simultaneously too tannic and falling apart. Very disappointing.

Q - What causes you to actually pull the trigger on a special bottle from your cellar?
Sometimes occasion commands an offering, sometimes I just deserve it, sometimes the wine is likely peaked so it’s a “use it or lose it” scenario.

Q - What have you learned about wine from starting your collection?
It’s amazing how much money I don’t spend on wine. I think, being in the wine industry, I’ve learned much more by being an active taster and pursuing every opportunity to scavange knowledge.

Q - Would perusing your wine cellar offer any insight into you as a person?
I think a far more insightful discovery about someone of my income level is what I want in my cellar but don’t yet have. What’s there now reflects mostly the opportunities I’ve been afforded.

Q - Any general comments about building a cellar/collection?
Always keep buffer bottles on hand that would age well but don’t necessarily need to. They will protect the truly age-worthy bottles from your raging thirst.

Q - What advice would you share to anyone wanting to start a collection of wine?
Be prepared for a Long Game, this is an investment, not a sport.

 - Liam Carrier ©copyright 2012 IconWines.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment